Have you ever had someone to tell you to just get over it? I have a couple of issues with that. It may take me a minute, but just stay with me & hopefully, I won’t butcher this up too much.
Sometimes, in life, I firmly believe there are things you just don’t have to get over. Take for instance a loved one passing away. That is one of the main things in my life, I deal with, is missing my sweet mama, my salt of the earth grandparents, & my in-laws (who were the best people in the entire world). This is a day in & day out pain that I deal with. However, I do my best not to let it overcome me. My husband & I talk about things my mother in law would have said if she had been here while her great grandchildren were. She would have loved things they do & say. I make mention of my daughter’s love for cooking to be purely a fantastic genetic trait, that was passed down from my mama, her Granny & her great grandmothers. Their love for all of us, their good advice, & examples of Christian living, well, those thoughts live with me every day. And thank God for that. I won’t ever get over it.
What about the blood that Jesus shed on the cross for me? I hope I don’t ever get over that. I won’t ever be able to repay the Lord for what He’s done for me & my family. When I think about what the Lord has done for us, I feel so humbled. We have never been forsaken or felt alone – for long anyway. Because there’s a peace that passes all understanding, that well, I don’t understand. I just know that is one of the benefits of Jesus loving me & me obeying Him.
I read an article, the other day about how to get your kids to behave. Like I really need to know about that, huh? It said, when you want a child to do something specifically, you need to tell them how to do it. Instead of saying, “Watch out, you are going to fall.” You would say to a kid that was standing in a chair jumping up & down & screaming: “Sit down on your bottom and be quiet.” That may sound a little common sense worthy. But think of it y’all. How many times do we say things to people, that we want a certain outcome, but we don’t tell them how to do it? So instead of thinking, “Why don’t they just get over ______________? Fill in the blank with anything you wish here- their divorce, their money problems, their relationship problems, theirselves- maybe they just don’t know how.
So, how do we help others or help ourselves? I have a little list of things, I try to apply, that helps me to make it through:
- Pray- I know, I know. That’s all anyone ever says is pray about it. Well, that’s not bad advice. Here lately I’ve been doing a lot of that about certain areas of my life. Time in prayer is never wasted. I Thessalonians 5: 16-18 Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. (NKJV)
- Listen & pay attention- If you stop & take time to listen to what the Lord is saying to you, through His Word, you may be pleasantly surprised. The other day, I was talking to a co-worker about my Dad being sick. He was reminding me his wife was in charge of a rehab/nursing home facility & that if he had to have physical therapy, it was a good place to go. While we were talking, my phone rang. It was the case worker at the hospital saying the doctor had put in orders for my Dad to go to rehab & did I know where he would like to go? WELL YES I DID. Some of the best things in the world have been given to us quietly. So pay attention to the little things going on. Those are sometimes the big things. I John 3:20 For if our heart condemns us, God is greater than our heart, and knows all things.(NKJV)
- Be social. Sometimes we just need people, that love us, to be around. You need to be able to reach out to others. Sometimes just being with folks you can laugh with & that make you laugh is extremely good medicine for the soul. Go out to eat with your family. Ask some friends to go to the movies. Prepare for hard days by planning to be with your people. Talk to them about how things are playing out for you & that you have a hard time going on. If they are your real friends & it is family that truly loves you, they will be there. Hands down. No matter what. Proverbs 18:24 A man who has friends must himself be friendly, But there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother. (NKJV)
- Realize you can’t do it without Jesus. It’s so heartbreaking to see people try to live this crazy life without the Lord. His presence & guidance is the best thing in the world. If you read & study His Word, you will get answers. Trust me on this one. You may have to be patient. You may have to wait. But that’s okay. Because God is always working for our good. John 14:6 Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. (NKJV)
- Count your blessings. It’s hard to be discouraged & depressed if you are thinking about all the Lord has done for you. Just take a few minutes & think about how blessed you are. Even with all the bad things going on & the hurt & the chaos in the world, we as still so, so, blessed. Luke 6:38 Give, and it will be given to you: good measure, pressed down, shaken together, and running over will be put into your bosom. For with the same measure that you use, it will be measured back to you.”(NKJV)
Y’all life is so complicated sometimes. But there’s One that will take you just as you are. In your weak & broken down spirit, He will take you & comfort you. Right this minute, if you needed someone, do you have that person, you know without a doubt you could call on & they would be there for you? You don’t have to have a large group of people. One will do. Now, can you be that person for someone, as well? Make those your people. Because you matter to them & they matter to you. That’s one of the Lord’s way of taking care of you here. He gives us our people.
I am so glad you came by to visit with me today. 2019 has been a little crazy, so far. My Dad’s health is pretty touch & go right now. He had a fall back about a month ago. From that, it’s just been one thing after another for him. If you get a chance, just keep him in your prayers. On another note we have a brand spanking new grandgirl! She is just gorgeous, of course. We got to be with family & friends all through the holidays. So, life is pretty good. Until next time I have to be going, because I should be washing clothes.
photo credit: Pinterest