Those who know me know, I am a first class put-ter off-er. I put stuff off until the last minute quite often. Like right now, I have a said amount of clothes (that belong to my husband) folded mind you, sitting on a chest in my bedroom. They are clothes he wore last week, this week, back at Christmas (wait, those are in the floor of the closet). I need to hang those clothes up & put them away. But you know what? I have more important & fun stuff to do at the moment. Like making a dress for my brand spankin’ new granddaughter. Or watching t.v. or surfing the internet for ideas on how to repaint my bedroom suit or having a nutritional snack of peanut butter or Nutella out of the jar or counting the times Miss Neenee asks can we go to the One Direction concert. You know things that distract me from doing what I need to. What are the consequences if I don’t put that laundry up? My husband has to look for matching socks? Pttthhh! He don’t care to do that. Well, for a short period of time anyway. But I won’t stop the world with my pile of clothes or cause anyone to epically fail in life because of my unorganization, so some things just get put off.
However, there are a few things in life we should not put off. Why? Because time goes on & we miss the opportunity. Those things happen, ya know? There is no telling how many great & terrific chances I have missed because I put stuff off. One Sunday at church, Bro. Brad preached about several things we should never put off.
1. Be quick to take action. We should discipline ourselves, because often times we wait too long to take action. We make excuses why we can’t do something. However, you don’t have to know everything to do something positive in life.
Matthew 16:24 Then Jesus said to His disciples, “If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me.(NKJV)
2. Don’t wait too long to be kind to others. Make kindness a part of your everyday life. Let your first reaction to any situation be kindness. The giver the apostle Paul speaks of in this passage is not only regarding of our monetary offering, but a giving of ourselves, as well.
II Corinthians 9:7 So let each one give as he purposes in his heart, not grudgingly or of necessity; for God loves a cheerful giver. (NKJV)
3. Be the best parent you can. We have our children, in our homes, for such a short time. They are born & before you turn around, they are in school. Then, graduating & having kids of their own. Take time now to make a difference in their lives. Teach them right from wrong. Don’t think you will address this or that later. Do it now or you may miss your chance.
Ephesians 6:4 And you, fathers, do not provoke your children to wrath, but bring them up in the training and admonition of the Lord.(NKJV)
4. Read & study your Bible. We often make the promise to ourselves, “I am going to be a better Bible student.” Today is the day! You can’t grow your faith without spending time in God’s Word. Blessings will pour on you, when you spend time with God. Don’t rob yourself of that.
II Timothy 2:10 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. (KJV)
5. Realize today is the day to make things right. Don’t put off making things right with God. We are not promised another day or minute. Don’t meet our Savior unprepared.
II Corinthians 6: 1-2 We then, as workers together with Him also plead with you not to receive the grace of God in vain. 2 For He says:“In an acceptable time I have heard you, And in the day of salvation I have helped you.” Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation.
I am so glad you came by to visit with me today. You know what? I think I may put those clothes up today. Maybe. If the sun in not shining & I can’t sit out on the deck. I will definitely put them up. Lawdy chile, I have got to quit my lyin’. I ain’t foolin’ with that today! Maybe if you aren’t doing anything, you would like to come hang these clothes up for me? No? I can’t say I blame you. I hope you have a great week. As for me, I have to be going, because I should be washing clothes.
photo credit: your ecards, soulspringroups.blogspot.com