Have you seen the video of Taylor Swift giving away gifts to her fans for Christmas? She has been dubbed as Taylurking. It is where she has sort of stalked some of her fans on social media. Then, learned what they like, where they work, go to school, what their kids & friends, names are, etc.,. She bought presents for these people in regards to what their interests are. The video has been circling around the internet. I saw it shared by someone on Facebook. If you missed it, you can see it here.
I watched it. My first knee jerk reaction was, “That was nice of her.” Then, I got to thinking about it. Being the first class skeptic I am , I have a few questions.
1. Who filmed this? Obviously, it was intentional. Not just some random personal videoing going on.
2. Why did this individual/individuals video it? Was it just for fun or entertainment? Then, they got the idea, “Let’s make a video for the internet so everybody can see how amazing Taylor really is?”
3. Why did Taylor feel the need to display her kindness? Albeit, this was a well thought out, good hearted, thing to do, why toot your own horn, Taylor?
4. Did Taylor feel the need to have praise for what she did?
5. Am I looking at this all wrong?
6. Why would she have not done these kind deeds & kept this as a special memory of friendships with her fans?
I saw a comment by someone on the Facebook post stating Taylor had recently been to a children’s hospital. They said she spent more than normal celebrity time with the patients & no one knew about it. Ok. What’s wrong with that?
This is what Jesus says about doing for others:
Take heed that you do not do your charitable deeds before men, to be seen by them. Otherwise you have no reward from your Father in heaven. 2 Therefore, when you do a charitable deed, do not sound a trumpet before you as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory from men. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward. 3 But when you do a charitable deed, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, 4 that your charitable deed may be in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will Himself reward you openly. (NKJV)
I am not a Taylor Swift hater. As a matter of fact, I like her music. I think she made a very strategic move going from Country to Rock. It was inevitable. To my knowledge, she has not publically twerked or sung songs about kissing girls & liking it. So, she has that much about her. I can let my 11 year old listen to her, without much worry. But, this video stunt is kinda like being classy. If you have to tell someone you are classy, then are you? If you have to make a video about what a big heart you have, then do you have a big heart? Someone help me get through this. Any insight is welcome.
I hope you are having a great week. Whoever is praying for rain, in northeast Mississippi, please stop. We are good. Until the sun shines again, I have to be going, because I should be washing clothes.